Stem cell therapy uses a patient’s own stem cells to help repair damaged tissues and injuries, and helps avoid the need for invasive surgeries. This type of therapy is a part of the regenerative medicine field, and it is rapidly growing. A few of the many things stem cell therapy is used for includes reducing joint pain, increasing motion and flexibility, and tissue regeneration. Our medical professionals at Kentrum Clinic are experts in cellular therapy.
Stem Cells: Defined
In the words of the National Institute of Health:
“Stem cells are important for living organisms for many reasons. In the 3- to 5-day-old embryo, called a blastocyst, the inner cells give rise to the entire body of the organism, including all of the many specialized cell types and organs such as the heart, lungs, skin, sperm, eggs and other tissues. In some adult tissues, such as bone marrow, muscle, and brain, discrete populations of adult stem cells generate replacements for other cells that are lost through normal wear and tear, injury, or disease.”1
Stem cells offer a healing benefit that is impossible to get from pharmaceuticals or man-made medical devices. Stem cells are natural to your body and can aid in forming bone, cartilage, and even ligaments.
Benefits of Stem Cell Therapy
With so many treatment options out there, you may be wondering what benefits choosing stem cell therapy provides. Overall, because stem cell therapy utilizes biologic material directly from the patient’s body, the general benefits include minimal risk, minimal recovery time, and minimal stress.
At Kentrum Clinic, we use allograft tissue from bone marrow and adipose in treatment. Allograft tissue in bone marrow stimulates growth factors and cytokines, cells that influence the behaviour in other cells, and forms bone, meniscus, and cartilage. Allograft tissue from bone marrow is a rich source of cells that can differentiate into multiple cell lines including those of bone, cartilage, and muscle. Other benefits include:
- Avoiding surgery and its many complications: Stem cell therapy is a minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure. The stem cells are harvested from the patient’s bone marrow from adipose (fat) tissue.
- Minimal post-procedure recovery time: One of the most time consuming factors of any injury is not always the treatment itself, but the recovery time. With stem cell therapy, recovery time is minimal.
- No use of general anaesthesia: Whether you hate being put under, or hate the way general anaesthesia makes you feel, stem cell therapy may be just what you need as it does not require the use of general anaesthesia.
- No risk of rejection: Due to using cells extracted from the patient, there is no risk of rejection.
- No communicable disease transmission: As the cells originate within your own body, there is no risk of spreading disease from or to another person. The process is completely autologous.
Contact Kentrum Clinic today to find out if you’re a candidate for autologous stem cell therapy.